tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Jim Cobban" <jcob...@magma.ca>
Subject Why can I not use attributes "lang" and "maxRows" in a custom tag
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:51:26 GMT
Tomcat 4.1.12 does not accept a custom tag with attributes "lang" or "maxRows".  When I asked
about this on the Tomcat users list I was informed that it also does not accept the attribute
"class".

Specifically if I define those attributes then when the jsp is compiled I get an "unable to
find setter" error.  If I replace them with similar but meaningless attribute names the page
compiles correctly.

I have searched the JSP 1.2 and Tomcat 4 documentation exhaustively and I cannot find any
indication that these attributes are not allowed.  The names I want are the ones I feel will
be most intuitive to my users. The "lang" keyword is to be used to specify the natural language
of the interface and the "maxRows" attribute is to be used to specify the maximum number of
rows from a database query which are to be displayed.

I really want to use these attribute names.  If there is a list of forbidden attribute names
this should be documented somewhere.

Jim Cobban   jcobban@magma.ca
34 Palomino Dr.
Kanata, ON, CANADA