tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] JK2 2.1
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 18:32:56 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since there has been general concensus that we should use the APR for
> every supported API call.
> Here is my design proposal.
>
> General:
> [ ] Drop HAS_APR flags and dissalow building of JK2 without APR
> [ ] Keep everything like it is (the rest doesn't interests me)

As I said, my option is:
  [X] Leave the existing components, create all new components based on
APR. and make sure plugability works.

In future - deprecate the non-apr components after 2.0 is released and
default to apr-only components in 2.1, remove non-apr components after 2.1
is released ( i.e. for 2.2 ).
I think that maximises the stability of the code.

> Regular expressions:
> [ ] Add pcre from httpd-2.0 to the common/pcre
> [ ] Add pcre from httpd-2.0 to the srclib/pcre
> [X] Wait if pcre ever comes to the apr-util

If we wait to much - one of the first 2 choices.

> Pools:
> [X] Use the real apr_pool_t.
> [ ] Keep the jk_pool_apr wrapper renaming it to the jk_pool

With the mention: use the real apr_pool_t in new code, let
jk_pool_apr in the code related to component model ( and
all new apr components can get and use the real apr_pool_t
from jk_pool_apr struct ).

> Sockets:
> [x] Use only apr_socket and drop the socket, renaming apr to socket.
> [ ] Keep supporting socket.

Use only apr_socket and default to it for 2.1, but without removing
the old jk_socket ( until 2.2 )

> File I/O:
> [x] Use the APR for file i/o replacing stdio/stdlib calls
> [ ] Keep the old fopen/fwrite/etc... code

Same as before.

--
Costin