tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Memory Usage
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:13:29 GMT
Hi,

>One of my client is trying to use Tomcat Server (3.3.1) with their web
>service products.  One of the challenge we face is the memory/cpu usage
on
>Windows 2000 server.  They currently have IBM Websphere to handle
various
>java servlet and JSP, and memory usage is little pretty high from their
>point of view.  Is there any website or benchmark I can get to see how
>tomcat use cpu/memory usage?  Thanks for your info.

There's a perfect benchmark out there for you, doing exactly what you
need!!!  You can get it by installing tomcat (preferably the latest
stable version, not 3.3.1), installing your app, and benchmarking it
with a tool like JMeter, OptimizeIt, JProbe, wget, the Grinder, or any
other of the many that are out there.

Almost the only benchmark that's significant is the one conducted on
your own app.  Different apps will have wildly different resource
utilizations on the same server, so looking at someone else's benchmarks
for their app on tomcat (or weblogic for that matter, or any other
server), can be wrong if not downright misleading.

Regardless, you should have a load / stress test in place before you
change servers to ensure your new server platform can handle expected
loads...

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics