tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Algesten <mar...@taglab.com>
Subject Tomcat 4.1 no go for my production env.
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:14:44 GMT
Just following up on my thoughts wether Tomcat 4.1 is ready for
production or not. Yesterday and today I tried to roll one preview site
out on our existing server infrastructure... and so far it created
complete havoc.

Oddly enough I'm running a Coda replicated file system on my production
servers and that is where the Tomcat home is. Now Coda is a semi-dodgy
piece of software (it's a love-hate thing) and you need to be gentle
with it. Tomcat 3.3.1 is fine running in this way, but 4.1 so far
crashed the whole coda file system both yesterday and today.

This is not a complaint about Tomcat 4, rather an observation that it
doesn't seem to behave in this environment. I will start investigating
why this is. My suspicion there is something about Coda having AFS file
semantics rather than unix or windows ones.

Martin