tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Algesten <mar...@taglab.com>
Subject Status-Line with no Reason-Phrase
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:09:27 GMT
It seems to me that the Coyote JK 2 connector doesn't set the
Reason-Phrase for the responses, is this right?

I know that you don't have to do this according to the HTTP/1.1 spec.
However once again my dear mod_proxy isn't to happy about a status line
saying: "HTTP/1.1 200 "  (the trailing space is significant). In this
situation mod_proxy inserts an extra line break in the header after the
status line but before the headers ending up with something like:

HTTP/1.1 200

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:58:28 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_jk/1.1.0 DAV/1.0.3 mod_ssl/2.8.10
OpenSSL/0.9.6g
Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=1B937C37372FC2947895B82B361D8B0E; Path=/
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

And I can tell you that doesn't look pretty in the browser :)...

I know this is really not Coyote's problem, this is a bug in mod_proxy.
According to the HTTP/1.1 spec it might even be more correct to send the
trailing space than without, however that is exactly what triggers the
bug...

If I despite this would like Coyote JK 2 to provide the Reason-Phrase...
Would the correct place to do so be in the org.apache.coyote.Response
using org.apache.tomcat.util.http.HttpMessages class?

Martin