tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Algesten <mar...@taglab.com>
Subject Re: production quality?
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:02:16 GMT
In a nutshell mod_proxy updates its cached entries with whatever new
headers are given to it. E.g. first request comes into mod_proxy and it
can't find the requested resource in its cache. It forwards on to my
tomcat who responds with something like:
HTTP/1.1 200

Second call comes into mod_proxy this time with an "If-Modified-Since"
for the same resource. mod_proxy needs to revalidate its cached entry
against tomcat and does an "If-Modifed-Since" against tomcat and tomcat
answers:
HTTP/1.1 304

At this point mod_proxy updates it's cached entry and ends up with a gif
that has got a Content-Type set to text/html.

Further requests to mod_proxy without "If-Modified-Since" results in
GIFs with strange content types. Thank god for IE not trusting the
content type :)

Bug 13846 has my curl detective work in it...