tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: production quality?
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:28:42 GMT
Martin Algesten wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just some thoughts.
>
> I've been using the 3.3.1 release for quite some time in a
> mod_jk/apache/linux kind of setup and all was fine. Though a couple of
> weeks ago I felt a need to start looking at new versions of all my
> API's/products in order to make sure I stay on top of things and don't
> end up with unsupported versions.
>
> What do we mean with production quality?
> According to the Tomcat project home page, 4.1.12 is a production
> quality release, however using it in real life makes me question the
> usefulness of such status. I've been monitoring this list and also tried
> to contribute by discussing/submitting patches for the bugs I've
> encountered. I don't have an issue with how long it takes to resolve
> these issues, after all we are all doing this for fun (more or less ;)
> ). However I do think we have a responsibility in what signals we're
> sending regarding how useful a release really is. The current 4.1.12
> release have some quite nasty issues that in some production setups
> makes it more or less useless. In my opinion the most nasty issues are
> those that directly breaks internet standards and the core API (10373,
> 13846, 13040).

10373: I'm not convinced by the validity of the report.
13040: The spec is IMO not implementable, and most of the patches
submitted were wrong. Hence, the issue is not fixed. Sorry.
13846: This is a minor bug (IMHO) which will need a rather risky
refactoring of the headers handling to fix, hence I decided to postpone
fixing it.

Unfortunaltely, there's simply not enough developers to handle the
amount of bug reports being filed. If the report is not crystal clear or
is not easy to reproduce and investigate, then no one will look into it.
The only way we could improve on this is that more people like you
stepped in and helped fix bugs and investigate issues. Unfortunately,
fixing bugs is not fun, and it doesn't happen very often (people prefer
to complain about their favorite BZ report instead) :-(

Remy