tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jasper questions
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:55:54 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Any opinions ?
>
> This is a significant change - I won't do it unless I have some feedback.
>
> The issues is moving flush() out of PageContextImpl.release() and into
> the generated java code, just before calling releasePageContext().
>
> My assertion is that release() shouldn't have the flush() as side effect.
>
> There is one major problem - doing a flush() is not enough to enable
> the Content-Length generation for JSPs, we need to either close() or
> let the data in the buffer so that the servlet wrapper will do the
> flush-and-close operation.
>
> The jsp page can be included - but I think close is disabled in included,
> so it won't affect anything.
>
> If we let the servlet wrapper deal with it - then we need a 'partial
> flush'
> in release() - which will just move the data to the parent buffer (
> OutputBuffer from what I see ), but without calling flush on it.
>
> Remy, what do you think ?

Yes, I think I agree. I rarely see any reason to flush, it just makes
things slower. I think it's a very good idea to see *all* the code from
Jasper 1 with a very critical eye and not assume it's there for a Good
Reason ;-)

Did you test it ? Does it work good ? (I don't see why it wouldn't, just
wondering)

Remy