tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] [VOTE] Removal of the LE distribution
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 02:50:56 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Before starting to release 5.0.x milestones, I would like to propose
>>having only one distribution for Tomcat 5.0.x, and standardize on what
>>the LE distribution contains (so well, it's more the other distribution
>>which gets removed).
>>
>>It has some advantages:
>>- it is slightly smaller (less these days now that the XML parser has to
>>be shipped again with Tomcat)
>>- runs as-is on JDK 1.3 (because of the Xerces inclusion)
>>- 99% Apache or Apache-style licence (the JDBC 2 standard extension is
>>needed for JDK 1.3 DataSource support :-()
>>- less user confusion
>>
>>The main "problem" is that the user will need additional downloads for
>>some of the more advanced features, and the package will also not run on
>>JDK 1.2 as is (but from what I've seen, JDK 1.2 compatibility may not be
>>a priority for developers).
>>
>><ballot>
>>+1 [X] Yes, remove the LE distribution
>>-1 [ ] No, keep both distributions
>></ballot>
>

> What would it take to be 100% Apache-style licence ? Can we do some
> introspection tricks or conditional compilation to solve this ?

I can remove the JDBC SE JAR, but then the JDBC connection pooling
features won't work right out of the box on JDK 1.3 (assuming it is
possible to run JDK 1.3 with TC 5).

A great blinking warning should be added to the download page and the
release notes if we do that.

If somehow the Catalina (with JSP 2 support) adapter requires JDK 1.4,
then JDBC SE can be removed.

Remy