tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Junghans <>
Subject Re: HttpSessionListener
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2002 10:29:47 GMT
John Baker wrote:

> I'm trying to write a bean so when sessions are closed, database
> connections
> and other resources are released. I realise when the sessionDestroyed
> method
> is called on HttpSessionListener the session is already invalidated (I
> would
> like to know why such a design decision was made there, it seems
> wrong).
> Anyway, as I need to be able to map stuff to a session I'm trying to
> write a
> listener where I can say "For this newly created session, hold on to
> this
> object". So when the session is destroyed, the object can be retrieved
> and
> methods called upon it (such as close db connections).

This question should be directed at

You're right that you cannot use HttpSessionListener since that is only
an after the fact notification. For things like this, I usually use a
session attribute that implements HttpSessionBindingListener. In its
valueUnbound() method, you can perform cleanup actions for the session.

   Andreas Junghans

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message