tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: [5.0] [VOTE] Removal of the LE distribution
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 06:04:46 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [5.0] [VOTE] Removal of the LE distribution

> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > Remy Maucherat wrote:
> >

> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>Before starting to release 5.0.x milestones, I would like to propose
> >>having only one distribution for Tomcat 5.0.x, and standardize on what
> >>the LE distribution contains (so well, it's more the other distribution
> >>which gets removed).
> >>
> >>It has some advantages:
> >>- it is slightly smaller (less these days now that the XML parser has to
> >>be shipped again with Tomcat)
> >>- runs as-is on JDK 1.3 (because of the Xerces inclusion)
> >>- 99% Apache or Apache-style licence (the JDBC 2 standard extension is
> >>needed for JDK 1.3 DataSource support :-()
> >>- less user confusion
> >>
> >>The main "problem" is that the user will need additional downloads for
> >>some of the more advanced features, and the package will also not run on
> >>JDK 1.2 as is (but from what I've seen, JDK 1.2 compatibility may not be
> >>a priority for developers).
> >>
> >><ballot>
> >>+1 [X] Yes, remove the LE distribution
> >>-1 [ ] No, keep both distributions
> >></ballot>
> >

> > What would it take to be 100% Apache-style licence ? Can we do some
> > introspection tricks or conditional compilation to solve this ?
>
> I can remove the JDBC SE JAR, but then the JDBC connection pooling
> features won't work right out of the box on JDK 1.3 (assuming it is
> possible to run JDK 1.3 with TC 5).
>
> A great blinking warning should be added to the download page and the
> release notes if we do that.
>
> If somehow the Catalina (with JSP 2 support) adapter requires JDK 1.4,
> then JDBC SE can be removed.

Well, it seems that this has already been done without a [VOTE].  After a
long time away from 5.0, I attempted to build it, only to discover that it
can't be built any more.  As a result, I'm now (belatedly) posting my -1 to
R1.2 of o.a.c.core.StandardWrapper.java. and R1.1 of o.a.c.u.SecurityUtil.
Please change to a version that compiles under 1.2 at least until there is a
[VOTE] to change the target version.  AFAIK, the target version is still the
same as 4.x (e.g. 1.2).