tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [4.1.10] Stability rating
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 14:22:21 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> Glenn Nielsen wrote:

>>> I think the admin web application still needs more work.
>>>
>>> The list of attributes which can be modified for a Host is incomplete.
>>> The swallowOutput attribute has not been added.
>>> I have not been able to get DefaultContext config info to display in
>>> the admin webapp.
>>

>> Damn, we forgot to add that there :-(
>>
>> The admin webapp is not in my list of must-haves for a release (except
>> when it indicates there's a regression in Jasper). There's also a
>> problem with the number of people actually working on it (except Amy,
>> I don't see anyone else), so it may take a while to polish it.
>>

> Then there should be something in the docs and release notes which state
> that
> the admin application is still considered alpha.
>
>> BTW, I don't see how adding support for your feature (swallowOutput)
>> qualifies as a showstopper ;-) It could probably wait for the next
>> milestone without affecting too many people IMHO.
>>

> That alone doesn't, but all of the other issues with the admin app does
> unless we note that the admin app is at an alpha release.  Plus I found
> a number of places in the admin app code which states that things will
> be added later.
>
> My vote will change to [X] Stable if the admin app is considered alpha,
> and documented as such.

Personally, I would say it's worthy of being called a "beta", but I
agree to mention it as being "alpha" in the release notes to point out
that there are still a few minor features missing.

For the next stable release, we should plan to have a complete version
of the admin webapp (if support from developers is good enough, obviously).

Remy