tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: [linux CP COMMAND options]
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 03:31:22 GMT
I'm not sure I know what a 'Secure CTR' is, so I'll leave that one alone :-)

Yes there is 'cp -fr' on Linux, see 'man cp' for details. Manual pages for
RedHat Linux are available from here: http://linux.ctyme.com/.

rsync will make sure copying is atomic (i.e. it'll create a temp file, sync into
it and then move the temp file into the destination file ), cp won't (it'll
overwrite the target file, starting at the beginning of the file, so if
something grabs the file while this is being done, there's going to be trouble),
which makes rsync a better choice for this kind of work, especially if you're
doing it while Tomcat is running. Also, rsync has sophisticated pattern
matching, which makes it, well, suitable for (remote) syncing :-)

Bojan