tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Have Bootstrap and BootsrapService share startup/shutdown code
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:21:14 GMT
On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Patrick Luby wrote:

> Wouldn't commons-daemon also want to use Bootstrap.java's classloader,
> etc. setup? Right now, all of this is buried in main() instead of a
> method that commons-daemon could access.

Sure - split the main into several methods ( one called 'start' for
commons-deamon to use ).

> > Catalina.java will be useable as an ant task ( using execute()
> > and the setters ) and will be useable as an MBean ( using modeler ).
> > All things that can be specified via CLI will be setable via
> > setters.
> >

> Wouldn't we want to put execute() in Bootstrap.java since that is where
> all of the classloader magic is happening?

Bootstrap can mirror the methods of Catalina.java - using introspection
to call them.

But Catalina should have the logic - if you embed tomcat and have all
the classes already available, or use ant with a defined <path>
there is no need for Bootstrap.

At least that's my experience with 3.3 launcher - it should
only create the 'common' and 'server' loaders, create Catalina
using the server loader, pass the common loader, then use
introspection to call execute.

> I agree. The BootstrapService does this very well. Hence, my proposal to
> share common methods. By sharing start() and stop() logic,
> Bootstrap.java would only need to have a command-line option (e.g.
> -noshutdownport) that bypasses the creation of the shutdown port. Right
> now, Bootstrap.main() has this shutdown port stuff really embedded in there.

+1

Each command-line options should have an equivalent setter, for JMX/ant
use.

> Also, my hope is that we can have the shutdown port logic, when it is
> used, happen *before* the server is started so that you don't have to
> wait for the server to fully start before you can shutdown Tomcat.

My hope is that we'll remove the shutdown port and use ajp13 shutdown.
One less open port. In addition JMX could be used ( or direct calls
if tomcat is embeded ).

Costin