tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Have Bootstrap and BootsrapService share startup/shutdown code
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:46:19 GMT
On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Patrick Luby wrote:

> I am willing to move the script code into main(). However, there is one
> problem: there are currently 2 sets of startup code. Current Bootstrap
> and BootstrapService both do a lot of the same steps to start Tomcat.
> Before I make any changes to Bootstrap, I would like to propose that we
>   separate out the common methods in Bootstrap and BootstrapService
> (e.g. creating the classloaders, invoking Catalina.start(), etc.).

The way I see it:

Bootstrap.java -> creates the classpath for server, creates
and load Catalina.java ( using Class.forName() ). No dependency on
tomcat - except possibly introspection.

Catalina.java -> main entry point into tomcat. It will have
setXXX methods ( in addition to the CLI ), start(), stop(),
execute(). That's where I would do all the endoresed, policy
settings and most of the logic, that's what applications
embeding tomcat will use.

All other classes should go to a compat/ directory and maintained
for backward compat only. The commons-deamon can use introspection to
call start()/stop().

Catalina.java will be useable as an ant task ( using execute()
and the setters ) and will be useable as an MBean ( using modeler ).
All things that can be specified via CLI will be setable via
setters.

Regarding the shutdown port: it is essential for me to make it
optional ( so that ant can start catalina in process and then _return_ ).
Ajp13 already implements a shutdown procedure - and I would rather
use that. In addition JMX can be used to call the stop operation.

Costin