tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: [5] commons-logging
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 18:01:05 GMT
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> I think backwards compatibility for the output of ServletContext.log()
> method calls (which ultimately get routed to the <Logger> associated with
> the Context) would be nice, but not necessarily mission critical.  I think
> we should feel free to re-architect how Catalina internal components do
> their logging (i.e. switch to commons-logging and not go through the
> Logger mechanism).

My thinking was that ServletContext.log will be 'routed' through
commons-logging as well - and share the same logger configurability
and features as the rest of tomcat.

In other words the format, appender, output file will be configurable,
we'll get the ability to log the method/class that called
ServletContext.log(), etc.

My only problem with using <Logger> is that it complicates things
and it's hard to keep it at the same feature-level with 'real'
loggers like log4j or the jdk1.4 logger.

For now I won't touch ServletContext.log - only implementation
classes and the internal 'log'.

Costin