tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Daemon deps
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 19:18:03 GMT
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Patrick Luby wrote:

> Costin,
>
> Remy can probably comment on the commons-daemon.jar dependency. However,
> the commons-launcher.jar dependency is required for the scripts in the
> bin directory.

Can you expand a bit ?

Catalina itself should't depend on any of those - it should be possible
to start it ( or embed it ) by just calling main().

If we want to use commons-daemon or launcher - that's fine, but that
shouldn't require deps - launcher or daemon can use introspection.

My 'favorite' method of starting will be JMX - I know one application
that will use ant tasks to start tomcat, etc. I see no reason to
have hard deps on any of those.

Costin