tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Lenny Karpel <lkar...@Eloquent.com>
Subject RE: 4.1.8: 'Unable to compile JSP' exceptions
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 18:06:49 GMT
Is this really the feeling of the Tomcat group as a whole ..

What group is responsible for Jasper .. is that a separate group ?

If the home page says Tomcat is a reference implementation for JSP 1.2 then
isn't the answer obvious ?

Do others in the Tomcat project agree with Brian's assessment ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian P. Millett [mailto:bpm@ec-group.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 10:49 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: RE: 4.1.8: 'Unable to compile JSP' exceptions

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 11:18, Lenny Karpel wrote:

> I guess I don't understand your POV .. are you saying that if it is
> Jasper .. you don't care ?
>
> Seems to me that Tomcat w/o a functioning JSP compiler is next to
> useless .. or am I missing something ?

Well, that is a perspective I guess.  I've used a servlet engine without JSP
and have produced many working applications.  I've used velocity, or cocoon,
or just plain old servlets.

Remember, JSP API != Servlet API

>From the Tomcat home page:

 Servlet/JSP Spec
     2.3/1.2

So IF Tomcat is a reference implementation of the servlet 2.3 api, then
jasper is not included.  IF Tomcat is a reference implementation of BOTH
servlet 2.3 & JSP 1.2 API then the bug # 10949 MUST be fixed.

Personally, I want a Servlet engine that I can add modules for extra
functionality.

--
Brian Millett
Enterprise Consulting Group   "Shifts in paradigms