tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Roytman, Alex" <Roytm...@peacetech.com>
Subject User Defined Realm. How to register MBean in Tomcat 4.1.x
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:13:01 GMT
Dear Catalina developers,

I am trying to port my LDAP realm from tomcat 4.0.x to tomcat 4.1.9.
I was unable to find any information on how to make my custom Realm work =
in Catalina's JMX environment. The problem is I do not know how to =
register (do I need to) a MBean for my realm. Please pardon me if my =
questions seems to be naive but I had no chance to learn JMX.

When I try to use my realm Tomcat starts fine, the Realm itself works =
just fine too but tomcat reports error that MBean for my Realm is not =
found.=20
Well it can't be found - it is not registered. So my question is:
1. Does tomcat 4.1.x have any way to register custom MBeans ? As far as =
I understand, right now they are defined in mbeans-descriptors.xml file =
which is not meant to be modified by deployers. Also how should I supply =
a factory method for my MBean and do I need it at all.=20
I tried to fool tomcat by providing modified copy of the =
mbeans-descriptors.xml and MBeanFactory.class  in =
$CATALINA_HOME/server/classes and it seems to take it but of course it =
is just a dirty hack.
2. Is it a crime to not to have a MBean for one of the tomcat components =
(i.e. registering realm with no appropriate MBean)? If MBean is not =
mandatory can error message be suppressed?

Your advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Alex