tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:10:29 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> Capturing of stdout/stderr has been enabled in Tomcat 4.1 for 2-3 months
> now.

I don't think it was, as RequestBase is deprecated, and is not used
anymore (except in the old connectors).

> What I committed was a bug fix.  If you revert it, capturing
> stderr/stdout code
> will still exist, you would just put back in place a memory leak.

> There is another place where you will need to implement your
> SwallowOutput flag,
> in  It captures output from a load on startup
> servlet.

I don't have many problems with capturing during servlet init. It makes
more sense to me to capture that data (no rational explanation, just a
It's not done during shutdown, BTW.

I can also make that optional using the same flag.

> The thread sync issue is a good point, but this can be improved by changing
> the SystemLogHandler to use Thread Local variables.

Thread local is quite slow, from what I saw with OptimizeIt, so I don't
want to use it.

> Why don't we wait and see what other tomcat developers think of this.
> Releasing 4.1.10 can wait 24-36 hours.

It will have to as there's a big problem in Jasper.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message