tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Luby <patrick.l...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [5.0] Build notes - new BUILDING.txt
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:25:34 GMT
Fredrik,

Bob Herrmann convinced me to use the Ant download target and I must
agree that using Ant download makes building Tomcat vastly simpler. As
you can see from my Unix script below, getting the code and building it
is only a few steps:

ant clean
runsocks ant download
runsocks cvs update -A -d
( cd "../jakarta-servletapi-5" ; runsocks cvs update -A -d )
( cd "../jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper2" ; runsocks cvs update -A -d )
( cd "../jakarta-tomcat-connectors" ; runsocks cvs update -A -d )
( cd "../jakarta-tomcat-catalina" ; runsocks cvs update -A -d )
ant dist

I agree that we should put ant download as the primary instructions in
BUILDING.txt. Maybe at the end of the file, we can just like the
versions of each dependency that we are using and not the whole bloody
process for downloading them since the locations are in the
build.properties.default file.

Patrick

Fredrik Viklund wrote:
> At 09:49 2002-08-07 -0700, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
>
>  >A 30-step process... I don't know about other people, but I find it scary.
>
> I agree. That's why I thought it is so important with a functional
> "ant download" target. Then it becomes a three steps process.
> The manual way should still be explained in BUILDING.txt.
>
> OTOH if the download target is kept up-to-date, it might suffice with a
> reference to build.properties for those who want/must use manual download.
>
>     /Fredrik
>

> --

Patrick Luby                     Email: patrick.luby@sun.com
Sun Microsystems                         Phone: 408-276-7471
901 San Antonio Road, USCA14-303
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900