tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-francois Arcand <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.2 run as NT service with xml parser other than its default (parser.jar)
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 15:01:05 GMT

Andrew Milkowski wrote:

>receiving following exception while running Tomcat as NT service
>	at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(
>	at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(
>	at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(
>	at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(
>Exception in thread "main"
>following classpath values were used (note I commented
>default xml parser, and replaced with
>(xalan & xercesImpl) parser.jar line)
Not sure it the proper way to replace the parser. You should put your
jar under CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed or under j2sdkXX/jre/lib/ext (I
recommend the first one). This is the suggested way when you want to use
another parser than the defaut one.

If you use jdk 1.4, see

-- Jeanfrancois

>interestingly when running from command line the alternate xml parser xerces
>was picked up and Tomcat
>started flawlessly..
>Any one knows if this
>a/ my ignorance, and there is a solution
>b/ a real defect
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
>For additional commands, e-mail: <>

Jean-Francois Arcand