tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5] commons-logging
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 10:42:39 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Ok, it seems things are not very clear.
>
> For tomcat5 I would like to just use commons-logging - in all log
> statements. The old <logger> will be deprecated - the interface
> will be there but the code will use commons-logging directly.
>
> We can change the log() method to call commons-logging to speed
> up the transition, but I think the pattern should be the normal
> commons-logging one - with:
>   if( log.isDebugEnabled() )
>      log.debug();
> used inside the code.
>
> That also means the 'debug' attribute is on components will be
> deprecated.
>
> The goal of this is to have a single logging API used in all the code
> ( including coyote, jk, jasper ), with consistent configuration and
> behavior.

I agree with that. It will take more time and effort, but it is cleaner.
Since we are doing a major release and I don't really care about
schedule anymore (only about putting something good out), I think we
should rearchitect a bit.

> We can do less - i.e. just use commons-logging if no <logger> is
> available.
> We can also port the Logger and Log implementations to work as
> 'commons-logging' impl.
>
> Craig, Remy - and everyone else - please post your preference.

+1 on deprecating (or worse; I'd advocate removing it, actually) debug, BTW.

Remy