tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Luby <patrick.l...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [5] launcher/deamon
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:55:43 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Patrick Luby wrote:
>
> > But one problem still remains: I cannot trust %0 on Windows 95, 98, and
> > ME and, hence, need to use a bootstrap class to construct all of the
> > path related stuff that would normally be relative to %0. Also, those 3
> > Windows platforms cannot perform "for" loops on paths with spaces.
>
> Take a look at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Main and IntrospectionUtil.

On Windows 95, 98, and ME (assuming we keep batch files), I just need a
bootstrap class that classloads bootstrap.jar and invokes
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Main.main() via reflection (i.e. similar to
the LauncherBootstrap.class file) to work around the %0 problem (when %0
is corrupted, I put %PATH% in the classpath to find the bootstrap
class).

> Basically if a class is executed, you can find out TOMCAT_HOME
> and all the paths ( in java ). And no 'for' is needed - at least
> not to construct CLASSPATHs - it can ( and should ) be done in
> java.

Creating a classloader has the same effect as appending to jars to the
CLASSPATH (except for a few specific instances) so this can be done in
main() instead of the script as well. The security manager can also be
set in main() instead of the script. The only item that I can seem to
put in main is setting of "java.endorsed.dirs" for JDK 1.4. If we can
find a different way to make the XML parser in common/endorsed the
default parser, then we could get around this limitation.