tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Luby <patrick.l...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [5] launcher/deamon
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:27:48 GMT
Kevin,

Kevin Jones wrote:
> Just a FYI
>

>>1. Make Tomcat 5 startup reliably on Windows (Windows batch
>>scripts are
>>    notoriously flaky).
>

> So don't use the (crap) .bat/.cmd syntax. Remember that Windows supports
> 'real' scripting languages for the shell. You could use JScript of
> vbscript and use the Windows scripting host (I'm pretty sure there's
> even a Perl version available although that's not installed by default).

I think that is an idea worth explorer. VBScript would be nice but it is
not installed on all Windows versions. As for others, I would lean
towards finding a shell that is very small in footprint that we could
ship with an application. Perl is redistributable but fairly large but
maybe a very minimal version can be compiled.

The other idea is to use Costin's idea of a C executable that replaces
the very litle bit of scripting that is left in the *.bat files. The
only downside is that the build would require native compilation.

>>2. Emulate the Unix startup on Windows (Windows has no "&" background
>>    operator like Unix and you cannot redirect stderr to an
>>output file)
>

> Doesn't 'start' do this, oh and you can redirect stderr (2> or 2>> I
> think is what you want)

"start" just creates another DOS window which means your GUI or server
application is still bound to a DOS window. As for 2>, I don't think
that this works in DOS. AFAIK, 2> on works in sh and bash shells. Even
if stderr can be redirected, you still get an empty DOS window hanging
around that the process is attached to.

>>3. Run background applications (like Tomcat 5 or GUI applications)
>>    without a DOS shell on Windows.
>

> See above

My goal was to get rid of unnecessary DOS windows for non-console
applications. "start" does not do this.

>>4. Eliminate maintainance of 2 sets of scripts (one set for
>>Windows and
>>    one set for Unix).
>

> Can't argue with that one
>
> Kevin Jones
> Developmentor
> www.develop.com

Patrick

Patrick Luby                     Email: patrick.luby@sun.com
Sun Microsystems                         Phone: 408-276-7471
901 San Antonio Road, USCA14-303
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900