tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Darwin <>
Subject Re: contexts in server.xml and directories under webapps
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 02:27:40 GMT
On August 6, 2002 04:33 pm, you wrote:
> In Tomcat 4.0, webapps deployed via manager are transient, and there is no
> mechanism to update server.xml so that the apps are there next time.
> Tomcat 4.1 has such logic (primarily to support the admin webapp) -- I'm
> not sure offhand whether the act of installing an app via manager actually
> triggers the writing though.

It doesn't, and I hope it stays that way. I like the Admin app (not Manager)
having a clearly labelled "COMMIT CHANGES" button before it loses all your
formatting and comments from your server.xml :-).

At present, the story is: use Manager for simple things like testing deployment,
triggering reload, etc.  Use Admin for a more complete administration tool.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message