tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Eddie Ruvinsky <ruvin...@yahoo.com>
Subject Problem when Apache does SSL with a JK 2 Connector (Tomcat 4.1) backend?
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 19:04:12 GMT
Hi all,

I had a question about the intended behavior for
servlets when a front-end web server proxies Tomcat
traffic while performing SSL processing, as intended
for the JK 2 Connector supplied with Tomcat 4.1.  I'm
wondering if the web server plugin will downgrade the
inbound HTTPS security to HTTP when it reaches Tomcat
on the backend?  If so, this would result in the
getScheme() and isSecure() ServletRequest calls to
return "http" and "false," respectively.  Is this the
intended/proper behavior, or should Tomcat be
"tricked" into stating "https"/"true" for the above
calls instead when the inbound request uses HTTPS?
Otherwise, can webapps that expect HTTPS requests
break with this kind of configuration?  I'm not sure
if this is a problem.

Thanks,
Eddie