tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: contexts in server.xml and directories under webapps
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:33:05 GMT

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Zhenxin wang wrote:

> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:09:04 -0700
> From: Zhenxin wang <zhenxin@docomolabs-usa.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Cc: Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: contexts in server.xml and directories under webapps
>
> Normally, each context in server.xml file has a corresponding directory under webapps,
and vice versa.
> However, when I deployed a app under webapps directory with the help of the manager app,
I noticed that there is no change to server.xml. When I restarted the server, the newly deployed
app is picked up and become accessible as normal. Looks like as long as the app directory
is there, it does not matter much wether the context is in the server.xml file or not.

> My question is that is it true that Tomcat looks for deployed apps/contexts under webapps
directory and server.xml only provides additional information for the apps/contexts?

> An brief explanation on the relationship between these two entities will be greatly appreciated.

In Tomcat 4.0, webapps deployed via manager are transient, and there is no
mechanism to update server.xml so that the apps are there next time.
Tomcat 4.1 has such logic (primarily to support the admin webapp) -- I'm
not sure offhand whether the act of installing an app via manager actually
triggers the writing though.

> Thanks!
>
> --Zhenxin Wang
> DoCoMo Labs USA