tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New coyote branch
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 21:55:38 GMT

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:40:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: costinm@covalent.net
> To: Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: New coyote branch
>
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>
> > o.a.coyote.Request doesn't have setAttribute() or replaceAttribute()
> > methods, so I don't see why it would be affected -- only the Servlet 2.4
> > version of CoyoteRequest would seem to matter.
>
> ???
>
> Are we talking about the same thing ?
> j-t-c/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote/Request.java does have
> setAttribute().

Well it does now ... it didn't in the version I had checked out (with a
sticky tag so I wasn't seeing all he recent changes) :-).

I see what you're talking about now -- but I'd bet you can still isolate
the changes into CoyoteRequest by putting some stuff into
setCoyoteRequest() to fire the event notifications.

> The request attributes are set by the connector - SSL stuff. For
> lazy evaluation we also need a getAttribute callback.
>
> I don't think coyote or connectors will replace attributes - at least
> the attributes in 2.3 are only set once ( and in theory before the
> request is served ).

That makes sense.

> > I don't understand what these have to do with the
> > ServletRequest.removeAttribute() and ServletRequest.setAttribute() method
> > implementations.
>
> If you want to be notified when an attribute is added to the request -
> it's not only ServletRequest.setAttribute that does that.
>
> Again, if the spec requires notifications _only_ for attribute
> changes initiated by a servlet - then it's fine to implement this
> only in ServletRequest.setAttribute().
>
> Costin

Craig