tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat and Naming
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 21:01:23 GMT

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Zhenxin wang wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:11:25 -0700
> From: Zhenxin wang <zhenxin@docomolabs-usa.com>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Tomcat and Naming
>
> What is the role of Naming (org.apache.naming packeage) in Tomcat?

It is used for two things:

* To provide the JNDI naming context to web applications (per the
  J2EE platform spec requirements).  This enables all the stuff
  described in the jndi-resources-howto.html page of the Tomcat docs.

* To represent the static resources of a web application so that
  static file serving (for Tomcat standalone) and servlet API calls
  like ServletContext.getResource() and getResourceAsStream()
  will work.

> Is it an essential part of Tomcat?

Yes (for the standard implementation in org.apache.catalina.core).  This
is primarily in terms of the second usage listed above -- the first one is
pretty separable.

> Can the servlet container work without it?

No (for the standard implementation in org.apache.catalina.core).

> If it can be taken off, what I have to sacrifice.

I suspect that this is one of the places that MinTC did things
differently, because it probably implemented its own version of the
Catalina components.

> Thanks!
>
> --Zhenxin Wang
> DoCoMo Labs USA