tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Herrmann <...@jadn.com>
Subject Re: [5.0] Welcome Files
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:31:57 GMT
On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 11:02, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Bob Herrmann wrote:
> > I have been looking into the Servlet 2.4 section 9.10 Welcome files
> > stuff.  In a nutshell, the spec now allows servlets to be welcome
> > files.  The can either be an 'exact match' or a 'prefix match.'
> >
> > I implemented changes to StandardContextWrapper to bring Tomcat into
> > compliance.  I think it is pretty messy, but then again Welcome Files
> > are messy (per earlier posts.)
> >
> > What do you think?   (The patch is for discussion purposes and contains
> > a lot of logging)
>
> The implementation is not efficient (a simple example: the
> getResources() method, which was cut & pasted from DefaultContext
> probably, is not appropriate for components which live inside the
> container - use Context.getResoruces() instead), but it's not a big deal
> as far as I am concerned as I intend to eventually implement a more
> efficient mapper.

Ok, I will look at switching to use "context.getResources()" on Monday.

> Has the spec wording been fixed ?

In short, no.  The spec (Proposed Final Draft, Servlet 2.4, Aug 5th
2002) still says, "The [welcome file] match is determined using the
usual path mapping rules in Section 11.1."  And 11.1 includes the
extension mapping rule - and the code I submitted currently ignores that
rule.  I presume the spec will change with the next update... unless the
expert group chooses another solution/change.

Cheers,
-bob