tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Herrmann <...@jadn.com>
Subject Re: [5.0] Build notes
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:24:49 GMT

Cool ideas...  I actually wish I could say, that I only had to do this;

	$ ant -f http://apache.org/jakarta/tomcat/devenv.xml

and have the tomcat 5.0 development tree get built.  Ant doesn't seem to
support URLs for build files, but it would be neat to get it down to a
single command line.

I have heard a few people report that setting up a development
environment was difficult.  Certainly reading through BUILDING.txt can
make it seem complex.... anyway....

Cheers,
-bob

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 11:42, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Patrick Luby wrote:
>
> > Bob,
> >
> > Bob Herrmann wrote:
> > > $ sed -e
> > > 's/^base.path=\/usr\/local$/base.path=\/home\/test\/tc5\/dependson/'
> > > build.properties.default > t
> > > $ mv t build.properties.default
> >
> > You don't want to replace build.properties.default. Instead you want to
> > put your customized file in build.properties. That way, if
> > build.properties.default changes, you will know. Also, using
> > build.properties prevents accidental commits to build.properties.default.
>
> Another sugestion ( see my commit ) - just create a ~/build.properties
> and use it to override base.path.
>
> That means:
>
>   base.path=/.....
> ( and nothing else - unless you have some other overrides to make ).
>
> No need to copy the whole file or do any file modifications.
>
> Costin
>

> --
Cheers,
-bob