tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Jones" <kev...@develop.com>
Subject RE: [5] launcher/deamon
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 21:45:45 GMT
> I think that is an idea worth explorer. VBScript would be
> nice but it is
> not installed on all Windows versions. As for others, I would lean
> towards finding a shell that is very small in footprint that we could
> ship with an application. Perl is redistributable but fairly
> large but
> maybe a very minimal version can be compiled.

WSH is common on Windows machines with VBScript and Jscript as standard

> "start" just creates another DOS window which means your GUI
> or server
> application is still bound to a DOS window. As for 2>, I don't think
> that this works in DOS. AFAIK, 2> on works in sh and bash
> shells. Even
> if stderr can be redirected, you still get an empty DOS
> window hanging
> around that the process is attached to.

I think you may be confused here between the old DOS command prompt and
the real shell that comes with Windows NT/Windows 2K and Windows XP.
These all have similar functionality to bash with regards to 2> and 2>>

With 'start' it depends what you're starting. If you start a windows app
then there is no cmd shell hanging around. If you start a console app,
you get the console for that app, with no extra command shell. Isn't
this what bash does with & ?

> My goal was to get rid of unnecessary DOS windows for non-console
> applications. "start" does not do this.

Yes it does, try it.

For example I use an IDE called IDEA under WinXP. This has a batch file
to start the IDE. By default the batch file calls java with a bunch of
parameters and leaves a console window lying around. I've modified the
batch file to 'start javaw' with a bunch of parameters, now I have no
extra windows,

Kevin Jones
Developmentor
www.develop.com