tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Jones" <kev...@develop.com>
Subject RE: [5] launcher/deamon
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:09:46 GMT
Just a FYI

> 1. Make Tomcat 5 startup reliably on Windows (Windows batch
> scripts are
>     notoriously flaky).

So don't use the (crap) .bat/.cmd syntax. Remember that Windows supports
'real' scripting languages for the shell. You could use JScript of
vbscript and use the Windows scripting host (I'm pretty sure there's
even a Perl version available although that's not installed by default).

> 2. Emulate the Unix startup on Windows (Windows has no "&" background
>     operator like Unix and you cannot redirect stderr to an
> output file)

Doesn't 'start' do this, oh and you can redirect stderr (2> or 2>> I
think is what you want)

> 3. Run background applications (like Tomcat 5 or GUI applications)
>     without a DOS shell on Windows.

See above

> 4. Eliminate maintainance of 2 sets of scripts (one set for
> Windows and
>     one set for Unix).

Can't argue with that one

Kevin Jones