tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: catalina.mbeans package
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:24:09 GMT
On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Most of the time, you want MBeans to directly delegate attribute read and
> write operations to the corresponding component object.  Sometimes,
> though, that is not possible (for example, when the component getter takes
> an actual object, and the MBean takes a string containing the MBean name).
> Thus, you can subclass the provided base ModelMBean class and override
> just the methods you care about -- everything else will pass through with
> no changes.

Many classes are just extending BaseModelMBean and do nothing ( all those
with around 4k size :-).

For all others - I think we should try to move the method implementation
in the real code, and keep using 'plain' modeler.

> There are a bunch of methods on the Connector implementations that are not
> exposed in Connector.java itself -- and we didn't want to change Connector
> due to backwards compatibility concerns.  Therefore, there's some special
> case stuff on the various implementations.

I don't think the interface needs to change - the modeler wraps the real
object and uses introspection on it.

That means attributes in CoyoteConnector should be visible without need
to have them in Connector. If not, we should fix modeler to allow this.

> In 5.0, this is definitely something that should be refactored in the
> Connector interfaces so it doesn't have to be special cased.

+1

Costin