tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Nic Holbrook <mo...@xmission.com>
Subject Custom realm/authentication
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:08:17 GMT
I currently have a setup where I would really like to use the container
authentication with tomcat, however, the only means of access to my
users is through a proxy bean.  The web server sits outside of our
corporate firewall, and I don't allow direct access to databases, etc.
 We manage users/roles internally, and pass them as value objects
through ejb's.  I would like to find out what I need to do in order to
write my own custom realm/authentication piece.  I will just make calls
through my proxy bean.

It looks like I need to write my own realm class which extends the
BaseRealm, but do I also need to create a authentication bean, or should
I just be able to use the standard FormAuthentication bean?  If somebody
in here has some more insight into this, I would appreciate it.  If it
turns out that I can write a good generic module for this I will gladly
contribute.

Thanks

Nic Holbrook