tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From peter lin <peter....@labs.gte.com>
Subject Re: That Cookie thing
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:38:56 GMT

John Baker wrote:

> Well a reliable source tells me that there is no w3c spec for Cookies, and
> infact the concept was conjured by Netscape. There is an RFC spec for
> Cookies, but it's largely ignored.
>
> So as the useful browsers out there ignore Cookie requests without a path, it
> might be handy to add it by default so other people don't spend an hour or
> two sitting there thinking "Why doesn't this work?". The current context path
> would be handy, so the response code could look like this:

http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2109.txt

Too many specs to keep track of.  I disagree the default should be set
to "/", since that isn't how other web/app servers handle it.  I know
both websphere and weblogic follow netscapes suggestion.  The spec might
be bad and probably is, but since that's how most browsers handle it,
changing might cause more problems than it solves.  just my .2

peter