tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From peter lin <>
Subject Re: That Cookie thing
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:16:39 GMT

that's the problem with assumptions :)

Actually I believe the W3C spec says the path will default to directory
the pages resides in. So that page /hello/greeting.jsp will have
"/hello" as the path.  Only files under "/hello" can read the cookie.
Atleast that's my understanding of how cookie path is supposed to be
set.  Some one correct me if I am wrong.

John Baker wrote:
> On Monday 01 July 2002 12:59, peter lin wrote:
> > if you want the cookies to be readable by all pages, you should set it
> > to "/".  That's standard practice. Also, if you have multiple webserver
> > with names like www1, www2, www3....., you should also set the cookie to
> > use
> I know this ;-) But I'd forgotten to put the / there, and assumed the browser
> would assume this if no / was passed to it. However they don't, so I was
> suggesting that if a Cookie has no path set then one should be written by
> default as a totally useless header is currently written in the form:
> Set-Cookie: someName=someValue; expires....
> and due to the lack of a path, every browser ignores it.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message