tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From John Baker <>
Subject Re: Valves, requests and getting the session
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 08:20:44 GMT

It would appear I can only get the session if the value is defined in the
Context in server.xml. Ie I cannot define it in the default location in
server.xml (where the catalina SingleSIgnOn is commented) and expect it to

Is this correct? And if so, can I achieve what I want to, ie a valve for all

On Sunday 30 June 2002 21:38, John Baker wrote:
> On Sunday 30 June 2002 9:35 pm, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> > Hmm ... this is baslically how the standard form-based login
> > implementation creates a session, except that it goes on and gets the
> > internal Session object ...
> That's what I thought.
> > I presume you're trying to create the session *before* calling
> > context.invokeNext(), right?  If you don't the response will have already
> > been committed so creating a new session would be ineffective.
> Yes, I am. I need to check to see if certain objects are in the session and
> if not, see if they are in another session that is pointed to by the Cookie
> id. It's like SingleSignOn, but slightly different. However I'm a bit
> confused to why I can't get a session, even when the rest of the app (the
> jsp pages etc) are making good use of it.,
> The headers also show the session id, but oddly enough calling
> HttpServletRequest.SessionIdFromCookie() returns true, but
> HttpServletRequest.isRequestSessionIdvalid() returns false!
> John

John Baker, BSc CS.
Java Developer, TEAM/Slb.
Views expressed in this mail are my own.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message