tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/native2/server/apache2 mod_jk2.c
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2002 02:40:07 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mladen Turk" <mturk@mappingsoft.com>
To: "'Tomcat Developers List'" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2002 10:09 AM
Subject: RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/native2/server/apache2
mod_jk2.c

> That wouldn't work!

Well, it won't work if you're using unpacked war files in TC 4.x.  But in
that case, you'd have to be mapping the entire context to Tomcat for
anything to work at all.

I tested mod_jk 1.2 with only setting r->finfo.filetype in storage map, and
that seemed to be enough (at least for 2.0.39).  However, Bojan's fix is
likely to be more robust for future Apache versions.

Probably a better fix is to simply get rid of the storage map hook
altogether, since we know that it doesn't play well with others.  mod_cgi
doesn't try and have a hook like that for instance.

> I'm all together very unsure whether we are doing the right thing.
> What would be the purpose of the some default file for a directory that
> is inside the apache's directory tree?
> The purpose of the rewrite hooks is IMO to enable the apache to see TC's
> directory tree as something of its own.
> Doing hacks like that makes a lots of space for various attacks, and I
> think we should reject to serve the requests that doesn't belog to the
> TC's tree.

As Mark has pointed out, the problem is that a request for /myapp/ that has
an "index.jsp" file sitting in the directory is really in TC tree.  However
mod_jk(2) doesn't know that until mod_dir starts processing.  Of course, you
could
  JkMount /myapp/ ajp13
or
  JkSet url:/myapp/.worker lb
but then you might as well just go ahead and use mod_webapp and save
yourself a lot of hassle.

> For a default directory index we should use the TC not Apache, or we'll
> never end that story.

The auto-config modules in 1.1 & 1.2, as well as Costin's web.xml reader for
Jk2 do just that.