tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.x auth issue
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2002 01:32:56 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.x auth issue

> Bill Barker wrote:
> > I'm hardly a 4.x expert, but this looks like it will solve the major
> > problem.
> >
> > This fix will still send an Auth to /myapp if you first request
> > /myapp/protected, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
> >
> > In 5.0, I think that the spec is going to eventually require that we
move
> > the logic to the Mapper however.
>
> Which BTW is not implementable in the general case; if you allow only
> physical resources, it should be possible, though.
> (at least, if you find a way which works, let me know)

I did for 3.3.2-dev ;-).  Almost all of section 9.10 of the 2.4 spec works
(but is disabled by default).  In 3.3 it was relatively easy since
(translating 3.3 concepts to Catalina) Welcome-Files are handled by a
Mapper, and Mappers are pipelined.  That is why I was suggesting Mapper.
However, pipelining Mappers is probably too big of an API change for 4.1.x.

In 4.1.x/5.0 it should (in theory) be possible to do the same thing with a
WelcomeFileValve.  As usual, my lack of familiarity with the details of
Catalina are probably making this sound a lot easier than it really is :-).
When I get some free time, I may take a stab at this.