tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Performance Test Workload: HelloWorld Servlet
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:36:19 GMT
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Christopher K.  St.  John wrote:

>  MinTC is included for comparison, since it uses the 4.0.3
> HTTP connector but attempts to improve the Catalina side
> of things. It's sort of the converse of the 4.1
> Connector improvements. But it's not finished so it's not
> really a fair comparison. Think of it as an upper bound on
> where relatively unsophisticated Catalina optimizations
> can get you.

Couldn't resist, I looked at the results :-)

That shows 2 things:
- that optimizations in coyote will improves performance
- that optimizations in catalina will improve performance

As Remy pointed out, the 'OutputStream' is an ideal case
for the old connector - the writer and the char->byte
conversions are one of the most important optimizations
in coyote.

If you could try with a writer and send the results -
that would be instructive. ( well, to make me happy -
try it with 3.3 too :-)

Another interesting test would be MinTC with coyote.

Costin