tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: build directories
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 02:25:03 GMT
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> We have a different definition of what a full build is. You define it as:
> rebuild everything from HEAD, including the dependent JARs (Gump style),
> while I define it as: rebuild all the Tomcat components (the 7 you defined
> above) based on "stable" versions of the dependent JARs. Since we should IMO
> base our work on stable versions of the dependent JARs, this seems like a
> legitimate way to do the build.

HEAD has nothing to do with it.

My definition is of 'full build' is to be able to build all the components
that end up in a distribution, based on CVS tags of stable versions ( and
maybe patches ).

In order to maintain tomcat you _must_ be able to fix bugs in tomcat but
also in the packages it depends on - see the commons-logging problem we
had. Or at least be able to debug the problem - i.e. add println() in
different places in code.

But even for our code, the round-trip for debugging is huge - you modify
a class in util and have to wait 5 minutes for the main build to
look in all the dirs. Or build util and copy the files.

Anyway - one -1 is enough, and I got 4 already, so I give up :-)

I'll probably write my own script and use it, I can't deal with the
current mess of jars and distributions and files all over the place.

Costin