tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: build directories
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 00:05:06 GMT
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I agree this is not perfect, but IMO it is a lot less risky that ../build. I
> could indeed maintain completely separate environments, but this is not very
> convinient or efficient (at least for me). Note that the current system
> doesn't prevent you from doing that (but the one you propose would require
> you to do so).

The problem is that I loose track of all the dozens of projects, each with
different conventions and locations.

By 'clean build' I meant building all the projects from their sources,
to make sure all things are in sync. My conclusion so far - it's
impossible to do so, there are far too many inderdependencies and
chicken-egg problems.

For 4.x we do build in 7 different places:

- jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/build
- j-t/jasper/build
- j-t-jasper/jasper2/build
- j-t-c/util/build
- j-t-c/jk/build
- j-t-c/coyote/build
- j-t-c/http11/build

To that you can add about 10 different build directories for
jakarta-commons ( 3-4 ), log4j, mx4j, etc.

Of course, it's simpler with checked-in binaries, but if you
want to debug a cross-project problem it's hell. Jars are
scatered in at least 20 directories.

Can you do a full build of tomcat ( including all dependent jars
that are open source ) ?

Costin