tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: build directories
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 23:12:52 GMT
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > Some of you may remember back in tomcat3.0 we used to
> > build all the stuff in jakarta-tomcat/../build and ../dist.
> >
> > What do you think about moving back to that layout ?
>
> I'd vote -1. I like the current style better. I have lots of different
> Tomcat 4.x repositories (4.0.4-b3, 4.0.x, 4.1.x, 4.0.3), and if the build
> was ../build, I'd have lots of nasty conflicts between the different copies.

I could use separate 'workspaces' for each version ( or combination) -  i.e.
/ws/40
/ws/41
/ws/gump

In each you can have a certain combination of versions, including
builds from HEAD, etc. How do you work with jakarta-tomcat-connectors
and jasper ? ( the tagged and HEAD versions ) ?

Right now each component creates a build/ somewhere 1-2 levels deep
in the _source_ tree, copies stuff from different places - a
total mess, even if you are familiar with the sources.

At least at my level of knowledge about jakarta and tomcat - I find
it close to impossible to have a clean build ( i.e. from sources ).

Costin