tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "GOMEZ Henri" <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: mod_jk cache and socket timeout
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:32:39 GMT
>The APR on unix for apr_time_now() uses gettimeofday, and then we could
>use the timeval's tv_sec, and on WIN32 GetTickCount, since all that
>matters is the time interval.

gettimeofday may cost a little bit more and it's not necessary
to have tv_usec for timeout count in seconds or minutes.

For example on Linux time() cost 30% less than gettimeofday().
But Apache 1.3/2.0 allready set time in request, we need to
use it, only IIS/iPlanet will need GetTicksCount or time()

>> >The patch uses the semi-dynamic endpoint cache. One should
>> set the high
>> >enough worker.cachesize, and the number of opened channels
>will drop
>> >after worker.cache_timeout.
>>
>> Tell use more about worker.cache_timeout.
>>

>Well, worker.ajp13.cache_timeout=seconds (15) by default, will
>force all
>the endpoints to be disconnected, which last access time exceeded the
>set timeout, just like socket timeout does for found endpoint, and
>socket itself.
>That way we can handle the peek throughput relying only on the server,
>without the need to make a dispatcher from 250->20 connections.

ok, and default behaviour should make previous settings, ie
worker.ajp13.cache_timeout=0 or no worker.ajp13.cache_timeout
make the feature off.

>> >Since IMO there was the general +1 for Jan's patch, here is
>> >the original
>> >with added endpoint timeout.
>>
>> time_t now = time(NULL);
>>
>> Is there faster alternative in apache ? time() is a consuming
>> call, and I recall hack from a SGI boy to speed Apache 1.3 in
>> avoiding use of time(), which are also in request_rec
>> (r->request_time) in apache 1.3 (time_t) and 2.0 (apr_time_t)
>>

>Don't know for unix if the time() or gettimeofday() is faster,
>but using
>gettimeofday we can retrieve the integer that can be handled more
>efficiently then time_t. On WIN32 we should stick to
>GetTickCount, cause
>its much faster, since there's no need to go to the MSVCRT, or do the
>lenghty TZ conversions.

On unix, time_t stick to int or long...