tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "GOMEZ Henri" <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: Proposal draft for Tomcat 5.0
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:10:54 GMT
>> Excuse me Pier, but when I see that you, an OSS developper,
>> long time Apache Member, one of the original JServ author
>> and member of the Tomcat 4.x development team member use at
>> works ServletExecAS/4.1 (http://uptime.netcraft.com/)
>> instead of any of products he developped, he make me laugth (or cry).
>
>For god's sake... Why do you think I'm CRYING OUT LOUD THAT I
>CANNOT PUT
>TOMCAT IN PRODUCTION? Do you think I'm happy? Do you think it
>brightens up
>my day when I have to reverse engineer ServletExcec's classes
>to fix a bug?
>(I did that, and let me tell you that it's not fun).

The magic of Commercial stuff :[

>Sorry... But I still cannot use Tomcat for our loads... As I
>said, we're
>getting there, we're getting close, but... And it's a big friggin' BUT.

Did you ever try to take a look at Tomcat 3.3.1 ? Just to be sure
that NO opensource solution can handle such load ?

>> I've got to battle hard at works to have Tomcat 3.3 instead
>> of the IBM own product which came for free on iSeries, and
>> the decision was not because Tomcat 3.3 was free but because
>> it came from Apache, got a tremendous support, give full access
>> to source, was quick, stable, scalable (thanks mod_jk).
>
>Yeah... For the loads you have TC4.0 can handle it by itself
>on an Ultra-1.
>10k req/day are approximately one request every 8.64
>seconds... I can put
>down also database work on the same machine...

10k / day, but one day is only 8 to 10 hours.

>Thank god that our site has few more page impression than
>that, otherwise I wouldn't be EATING...

So what's your goal today ?

Will you try to works with us in improving TC 5.0, it's still a
proposal and advices are welcome, or would you continue to crying
against tomcat and using commercial products ?

We have way too many battle in the past, so let works all together
or and for those who don't want (or can't) help us, please don't
flames the PROPOSAL.