tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "GOMEZ Henri" <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: mod_jk apache process 1 to 1 mapping with Tomcat AjpConnector thread
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:17:13 GMT
>Yet Tomcat may only be handling 10-20 requests at the same time.
>This seems like a big waste of resources in Tomcat.

>From my test with ab, tomcat could handle much more request by
seconds.

from my yesterday bench, you'll see that TC 3.3.1 and 4.0.4
could handle up to 330 req/seconds :

=== tomcat 3.3.1 ===
Time per request:       386.28 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       3.04 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          195.12 [Kbytes/sec] received

=== tomcat 4.0.4 ===
Time per request:       583.96 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       4.60 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          134.28 [Kbytes/sec] received

And even if tomcat was only able to handle only 20/30 connexions at
the same time, apache/tomcat should get all clients requests, even
if the reply will take some time.

>Is there any work being done on the mod_jk side to pool connections
>to tomcat and recycle them so that only the number of connections
>needed for handling requests are opened rather than 1 connection
>per apache process/thread?

Not in jk 1.2.0, but something to be done in jk2 where all
new features will be added.

Just imagine jk2 + limit by server + load-balancing