tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>
Subject Re: Max Sessions -> Production Tomcat instrumentation & monitoring
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:13:01 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
> > At this point in time I don't see alot of benefit to using JMX for this
> > because you can't change the core catalina policy at runtime unless you
> > drop back all the way to the Bootstrap class and reinstantiate all the
> > catalina ClassLoader's.
>
> By 'core policy' you refer to the container classes ?

Yes.

> I think what's interesting is to be able to define/change policy for
> webapps, and I think that can be done at runtime, without container
> restart ( but with webapp reloading ).

Yup, thats what the XML security policy will support.

> > Not at all.  The webapp /WEB-INF/policy.xml can only configure codeBases
> > which exist in the webapp Context.  In addition no permissions can be
> > set which exceeds the max allowed permission settings configured in
> > the global tomcat conf/policy.xml.  The Permission.implies() method is
> > used to enforce this.
>
> I don't see the benefit of having an untrusted webapp set its own policy
> ( even with a 'max' allowed ). I think it's usefull to have a policy.xml
> that defines what the application needs, and use it at deploy time
> ( with an admin checking it and aproving each permission ).
>
> I'm not -1, just -0.

The benefit is for when Tomcat is installed in a web hosting situation
where the tomcat admin sets what permissions are allowed and then
doesn't get bothered all the time to debug/set security policies for
individual webapps installed by customers.

But I can add an attribute flag which can disable /WEB-INF/policy.xml
scoped at either the Engine, Host, or Context.

Regards,

Glenn