tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher K. St. John" <...@distributopia.com>
Subject Re: Performance Test Workload: HelloWorld Servlet
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:35:50 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> So to summarize, the old connector *may* look ok in very specific synthetic
> benchmarks (you chose the right one; I hope you didn't choose that one to
> try to prove that Coyote sucks, or something like it), but actually, it has
> (big) issues. All these could be refactored, but it would take a lot of
> time, and you would end up with something like Coyote in the end.

 Two things:

  - I'm purposefully not addressing anything but performance claims
    and performance goals in this thread. Otherwise things get too
    muddled. I understand that there are other considerations.

  - I chose the test based on Costin's feedback of the sort of tests
    he was using[1]. I may be a suspicious SOB, but I strive to be an
    intellectually honest suspicious SOB. What can I say, I was born
    in Missouri[2] If you provide more details about what tests you
    are using (and you've made a start at it, thanks), then I can add
    those to the list. The more details the better.

    But it's generally up to the person making performance
    claims to provide pointers to the benchmarks details that provide
    evidence for their claims, both so other people can see the particular
    test biases, and so they can run them themselves. If you've already
    done that, I apologise, it's a royal pain finding good keywords
    for archive searches. A pointer would be appreciated.

    Just to be safe: Questioning your performance claims does not mean
    that I'm implying you are dishonest or incompetent. I am honestly
    operating on the assumption that you are neither. But I am assuming
    that you might be mistaken.

[1]
http://www.apachelabs.org/tomcat-dev/200206.mbox/%3cPine.LNX.4.44.0206241024330.11573-100000@costinm.sfo.covalent.net%3e

[2] http://www.sos.state.mo.us/archives/history/slogan.asp
  "frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am
  from Missouri. You have got to show me."

--
Christopher St. John cks@distributopia.com
DistribuTopia http://www.distributopia.com